The Home You Dream About – Why Not Now?
2nd May 2017
Costs of building your property in Spain
14th July 2018

Type of Planning Zones

All properties fall into one of two categories of planning zone:

1. Rustic (rural) plots (suelo rustico)

The rural land law governs the building rules of rural sites. (LEY 10/2004, de 9 de diciembre, de la Generalitat, del Suelo No Urbanizable.)

Some rural land is protected, all plots fall under one of the two following criteria:

  1. Suelo no urbanizable protegido. This is special, protected land which cannot be developed for residential homes.
  2. Suelo no urbanizable común. This category has no special protection and can be developed for residential houses for private use.

The development rights and restrictions of a rural plot in a común:

  • Plot size: minimum 10,000m2
  • Maximum building size: 2% of the plot size
  • Floors: 2
  • Height: 7m.

For example: with a 12,000m2 plot you can build a villa with 240m2 in the ground floor and 240m2 in the first floor.

Special Restrictions: All rustic plots have aesthetic restrictions with each planning zone having different regulations. Normally you have to build a typical regional-style building. For example you would not be given permission to build an Ibicenco (Ibiza-style) house in Valencia.

2. Urban plots (suelo urbano)

These are urbanised, serviced plots with access roads, water, electricity. Each planning zone has its own rules although normally the plot size limitation is between 800m2 and 1,500m2, with the “brut habitable” space being about 20% of the plot.

The Certificado Urbanistico

In each town hall you can ask for a certificado urbanistico of the plot you want to buy. This is a document signed by the agency of urban planning which confirms the type of plot, the occupation purpose, building space and type of building. When purchasing a property, this is the document that informs you of all the development possibilities of the property.

  • Note: Do not buy a plot without this certification.

Building Permits

A licencia (building permit) must be obtained before the construction of any building can begin, regardless of whether the structure is to be used as a dwelling, or whether or not it has foundations. This same permit is compulsory for any work carried out on an existing building where this work would; change the usage, exterior appearance, modify the volume, or where extra storeys would be created. (Note: you need a building permit for a prefabricated wooden house.)

There are two types of building permits:

  1. Permit for minor works: walls, terraces, and barbecues.
  2. Permit for major works: new buildings, alterations, and demolitions.

To obtain a building permit for minor works, you need simply request a licencia de obra menor at your Town Hall. Normally this should include a small description of the work to be undertaken and an estimation of the costs. This so that taxes can be calculated. The tax is paid at the end of the job and is normally calculated at around 4 to 6% of the construction cost.

To obtain a building permit for major works you will need:

  1. Technical dossier (proyecto) created by an architect registered in the Spanish architecture college
  2. A technical architect (aparejador), normally chosen by the architect. The technical architect is the site manager in official control of the building site
  3. A builder

All three of these professionals have to sign the application.

Submitting the solicitud de licencia

The application is submitted either in person or by registered letter to the local alcalde, where a receipt (recibo) will be issued; the application is usually processed within two months of receiving the registered letter.

A letter of notification will be sent following the submission with the application number. After an examination confirming that the correct information has been presented, details of the request will be posted in the Town Hall. The application will be verified for compliance with the building rules. A tacit approval may be assumed two months from the date of submission and the permiso de construir (building permit) will normally be delivered within that time.

  • Note: If the building authority does not give you a notification within two months, you will automatically obtain the license, assuming that the correct information was submitted and it complies with building regulations.